Help Us Thank NJ’s U.S. Senators and Representatives!
Last week, Congress presented the Honoring America’s Veterans and Caring for Camp Lejeune Families Act of 2012 (H.R. 1627), to the President for his signature.
The legislation would:
- Expand authorization of the Supportive Services for Veteran Families (SSVF) program to $300 million, currently authorized at $100 million. This would allow the proposed fiscal year (FY) 2013 funding level of $300 million from the Administration, House, and Senate to be passed into law;
- Reauthorize both the Grant and Per Diem (GPD) program, the homeless veterans transitional housing program within the Department of Veterans Affairs, and the Homeless Veterans Reintegration Program (HVRP), a homeless veterans employment program within the Department of Labor, among other programs aimed at helping homeless veterans; and
- Require the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to study and improve the reimbursement method used in the GPD program.
At a time when funding for any federal programs is scarce, Congress as a whole has consistently supported increases for key homeless veteran programs within the VA and continues to make progress in improving and expanding these programs. And Monarch Housing and the National Alliance to End Homelessness is encouraging you to need to thank our Members of Congress and let them know how grateful we are for all their contributions.
Please take a minute to:
- Call your Senators’ and/or Representative’s offices. Ask to speak to the person who handles veterans issues. You can click here to find a directory of New Jersey’s congressional delegation;
- Thank your Member(s) for their contributions to improving programs targeted toward homeless veterans and their commitment to ending homelessness among veterans in our county; and
- Let Kate Kelly know which offices you contacted.
As our Members of Congress continue to support the federal plan to end homelessness among veterans by 2015 we need to ensure they know that we support them in their efforts.