Our friend Ann Oliva, Director, Office of Special Needs Assistance Programs (SNAPS), provided these resources in her “Mainstreaming the Response to Homelessness and Implementation of Hearth Act changes to McKinney-Vento” email.
- Mainstreaming the Response to Homelessness: Compilation of reports on the effective use of mainstream resources to prevent and end Homelessness, with programmatic analysis & best practices.
- Strategies for Accessing Services and Supports: Resources for improving access by homeless persons to publicly-funded programs that provide services or income supports to poor persons.
- Strategies for Change: Online learning module on ending chronic homelessness for persons with serious mental illnesses and/or co-occurring substance use disorders. Continuing Education Units (CEUs) available.
- Strategies for Improving Homeless People’s Access to Mainstream Benefits and Services: Report with case studies of the mainstreaming strategies and outcomes of seven CoCs.
- Opening Doors: Federal Strategic Plan to Prevent and End Homelessness: The nation’s first ever comprehensive federal plan to prevent and end homelessness.
- What We Learned: U.S. Interagency Council on Homelessness report on public comments and federal workgroup deliberations.
- HUD Strategic Plan FY 2010-2015
Specific Mainstream Resources
- Earned Income Tax Credit: Resources providing information and guidance on accessing the Earned Income Tax Credit.
- Employment: Resources providing guidance on how to improve mainstream workforce development programs and services.
- HUD Guide to accessing mainstream employment and income support programs
- Food Stamps: Report of conferences and local post-conference activities to increase Food Stamp Program benefits by people who are homeless.
- Housing: Resources providing guidance on accessing mainstream housing programs and housing search and placement.
- Guide to using Medicaid financing in permanent supportive housing
- Report on the role of Medicaid in improving access to care for homeless people
- Resources providing information on how Medicaid funds can be used to fund services provided in supportive housing
- White Paper on the basics of the federal/state Medicaid program
- Manual for case managers assisting adults who are homeless with SSI and SSDI applications
- Report of meetings and local post-meeting activities to increase Social Security benefits access for people experiencing homelessness
- Training curriculum for case managers assisting adults with HIV/AIDS with SSI and SSDI applications
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health: Report with case studies on how states can use SAMHSA Block Grants to support services to people who are homeless
- Audio recording of conference call reviewing 11 mainstream resources for veteran client/consumers and basic linkage protocols
- HUD Guide for coordinating resources and developing strategies to address the needs of homeless veterans
- Guide for service providers on employment assistance for homeless veterans
- Resources providing funding, technical assistance and general information for homeless veteran service providers
- Youth: Online database of federally-funded youth programs
Homeless Education Resources
With the HEARTH Act focus on strengthening the connection between federally sponsored efforts to educate homeless children and to house homeless families, HUD would like to bring this additional information to your attention.