Special Needs Housing Partnership Approves 57 Developers

Monarch Housing Associates is approved as a developer

The Melissa Riggio ResidenceLast Friday, the New Jersey Departments of Community Affairs (DCA) and Human Services (DHS) along with the New Jersey Housing and Mortgage Finance Agency released the list of fifty-seven (57) housing developers/service providers with the capacity and technical expertise to produce housing units for individuals with developmental disabilities. Among those approved was Monarch Housing Associates.

The Special Needs Housing Partnership’s goal is to create affordable and supportive housing for 600 people with developmental disabilities by June 2013. The initiative aligns with the State of New Jersey’s goal to help integrate people with special needs into the community whenever possible.

Click here to view the full list.

Under the Special Needs Housing Partnership, DCA and DHS will seek to purchase three- or four-bedroom ranch style homes and two-bedroom condominiums and apartments to create supported-living arrangements for a minimum of 100 people by December 31, 2011, an additional 200 people by June 30, 2012; and 300 more people by June 30, 2013.

The goal is to move people who are able from developmental centers to the community; who are on the DHS waiting list, or who require emergency community residential placements into appropriate housing faster than the State’s current process. Referrals to the homes will not exclusively come from DHS. In fact, service providers in the community can also refer their clients to the housing.

As part of this initiative, the DCA will help municipalities utilize the monies in municipal affordable housing trust fund accounts to create housing for people with developmental disabilities. The Department will also assist municipalities by helping them to leverage the monies in their affordable housing trust funds with affordable housing resources at the New Jersey Housing and Mortgage Finance Agency such as tax credit financing, low-interest loans, and federal funding from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and with lenders such as Federal Home Loan Banks.