A Call to Invest in Our Neighborhoods
Join the efforts of Affordable Rental Housing A.C.T.I.O.N. (A Call to Invest in Our Neighborhoods), a grassroots campaign led by a broad, cross-industry coalition of over 180 national, state, and local organizations. The campaign provides tools and information for advocacy and education around the Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) and focuses on ensuring that low-income working families throughout the nation have access to decent, safe, affordable and rental housing.
Monarch Housing has joined this campaign and we strongly encourage you to join as well!
44,088 affordable apartments
67,014 jobs created
$3.9 billion in local income
$379 million in state and local revenue
$1.1 billion in federal revenue
What are the Issues?
- There is a Growing Need for Affordable Rental Housing.
- Affordability is the Primary Housing Problem Facing Families that Rent.
- The Affordable Rental Housing Stock is Deteriorating.
- The Affordability Gap is Widening .
How Can You Help?
- Use the Advocacy Toolkit to find facts and figures most pertinent to your elected officials and information helpful in advocating for the Housing Credit.
- Contact your representatives and senators, and provide them with facts and figures from the A.C.T.I.O.N. State Fact Sheets.
- Encourage your partner organizations and those groups in your network to do the same.
Background on the LIHTC program
- LIHTC is the most important resource for creating affordable housing in the United States today.
- Created by the Tax Reform Act of 1986, the LIHTC program gives State and local LIHTC-allocating agencies (see the table below) the equivalent of nearly $5 billion in annual budget authority to issue tax credits for the acquisition, rehabilitation, or new construction of rental housing targeted to lower-income households.