Creates HUD Special Assistant for Veterans Affairs
On November 1, 2011, Representative Al Green (TX) introduced the Homes for Heroes Act of 2011 (H. R. 3298) in the House. The bill establishes a Special Assistant for Veterans Affairs within HUD and mandates submission of a veterans supplement to the Annual Homeless Assessment Report to Congress (AHAR).
The bill specifies that the Special Assistant for Veterans Affairs shall be responsible for:
- Ensuring veterans have fair access to housing and homeless assistance under each program of the Department providing either such assistance;
- Coordinating all programs and activities of the Department relating to veterans;
- Serving as a liaison for the Department with the Department of Veterans Affairs, including establishing and maintaining relationships with the Secretary of Veterans Affairs;
- Serving as a liaison for the Department, and establishing and maintaining relationships with the United States Interagency Council on Homelessness and officials of State, local, regional, and nongovernmental organizations concerned with veterans;
- Providing information and advice regarding:
- Sponsoring housing projects for veterans assisted under programs administered by the Department; or
- Assisting veterans in obtaining housing or homeless assistance under programs administered by the Department
The bill has been referred to the House Committee on Financial Services where it awaits action.