$2.26 Billion in FY 2014 for
Homeless Assistance Grants
Since a topline funding level for FY 2014 was set in mid-December, Members of Congress are expected to come back from their holiday recesses early this week and begin immediately to finalize the FY 2014 federal budget, which includes funding for HUD’s McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Grants.
This offers us an opportunity to make one final push for at least $2.26 billion for HUD’s McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Grants in FY 2014.
Here’s What You Can Do:
- Call your senators and representative(s) offices THIS WEEK. Ask to speak to the person who handles housing issues.
- Tell them to urge their bosses to include at least $2.26 billion for HUD’s McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Grants in the final FY 2014 legislation.
- Reaching out to these offices is particularly important if your Member sits on the House or Senate Appropriations Committees. If you live in Rep. Frelinghuysen’s district, he is a member of the House Appropriations Committee.
- Use these talking points and other materials found here to help you make your case.
- Please let Kate Kelly know whom you contacted.
As background information, the current stopgap measure funding the government is set to expire on January 15, 2013. It is widely expected that Congress will finalize FY 2014 funding in the form of an omnibus (one bill that will include all of the funding legislation, instead of twelve separate bills as would be the case in regular order) to expedite the passage process. This means that there are just a few days to make one last push to as many Members as possible that McKinney programs need more money! Particularly after the cuts to funding that were made in the FY 2013 NOFA, we need to make sure that we secure at least $2.26 billion in FY 2014 for these programs.