Bills of Interest Governor Did Not Sign into Law
The Housing and Community Network of New Jersey (HCDNNJ) has shared this update on the end of the two-year legislative session highlighting the bills of interest to affordable housing advocates that were not signed into law.
The bills below are among the forty-four bills the legislature passed that were “pocket vetoed” by Governor Christie.
A pocket veto is the only type of veto where the governor does not return the bill to the legislature for a possible vote to override. A pocket veto only applies to bills passed within the last ten days of a two-year legislative session. The governor, in essence, “pockets” the bills, bringing it back to square one where it may be reintroduced in the next session.
- A-1570/S-2273 (Wisniewski, Green, Jasey/Norcross) Requires fire suppression systems in new single and two family homes
- A-1588/S-2081 (Benson, Riley, Ramos/Singer, Greenstein) Requires DCA to establish procedures for inspection and abatement of mold hazards in residential buildings and school facilities, certification programs for mold inspectors and mold hazard abatement workers.
- A-3103/S-2732 (Ramos, Spencer, Gusciora, DeAngelo, Benson/Gordon, Greenstein) Provides for priority consideration, by DCA, DEP, DOT, and municipalities, of permit applications for green building projects.
- A-3289/S-2710 (Fuentes, Jimenez, Burzichelli, Mosquera, Sumter/Ruiz, Norcross) “The New Jersey Social Innovation Act” establishes social innovation loan pilot program and study commission within EDA. Click here for Monarch’s testimony on the bill.
- S-134/A-2527 (Rice, Turner/Caputo, Giblin, Tucker, Watson Coleman, Wimberly) Establishes the Office of Dropout Prevention and Reengagement of Out-of-School Youth in DOE, and the Student Dropout Prevention Task Force
The bill the Network advocated for that was signed into law:
- S-2018/A-3851 (Stack, Lesniak/Coughlin, Eustace, Quijano, Vainieri, Huttle, Giblin), which authorizes award of attorney’s fees and expenses in landlord-tenant actions under certain circumstances.