NAEH Workshop Provides
Snapshot of LGBTQ Homeless Population
The National Alliance to End Homelessness National Conference on Ending Family & Youth Homelessness which took place February 18-19, 2014 in New Orleans and featured a workshop on “Building Supports for Homeless Youth.”
LGBTQ homeless youth and young adults, particularly those who cannot return home to family, require the support of caring adults. The workshop focused on service models that help youth build a supportive network, achieve education and employment goals, exit homelessness, and establish independent households.
As a snapshot of the LGBTQ homeless youth population, in Hollywood, California, 40% identify themselves as facing:
- Rejection and isolation
- Discrimination, homophobia, and abuse
- A negative school experience
- The absence of role models and mentors
Workshop presenters included:
- Simon Costello of LA Gay & Lesbian Center in Los Angeles
- Shahera Hyatt of California Homeless Youth Project in Sacramento
- Angela Rosales of the CSH and
- Cynthia Nagendra of HomeBase in San Francisco
Click here for the workshop presentations.