Meaningful Alternatives for Communities
Based on working with communities and its guide, “Searching Out Solutions: Constructive Alternatives to the Criminalization of Homelessness,” the U.S. Interagency Council on Homelessness (USICH) has highlighted strategies that communities can use to provide real alternatives to criminalizing the homeless.
A member of the USICH staff also recently rode along with the San Diego Police Department’s Homeless Outreach Team.
The alternatives are highlighted below:
- Consistent, comprehensive, and skilled outreach and engagement,
- A systems-orientation across all agencies and programs,
- Coordinate approaches for assessing needs and prioritizing access to housing and resources,
- Focus on housing first strategies and practices, and
- Sustaining the leadership and will it takes to create lasting solutions.
Click here for USICH’s guide “Searching Out Solutions.”
Click here for a blog post about a recent USICH ride-along in San Diego.