Would Raise Fund to Address
On June 1, 2015, Representative Steve Israel (D-NY) introduced H.R. 2591, the “Homeless Veterans Assistance Fund Act of 2015.”
The bill would create a Homeless Veterans Assistance Fund and allow taxpayers to voluntarily contribute to the fund on their federal income tax return forms.
The bill would authorize three activities to raise funds to address veteran homelessness. The bill would:
- Establish a Homeless Veterans Assistance Fund within the Department of the Treasury;
- Allow individuals to designate a specified amount of tax overpayment for the Homeless Veterans Assistance Fund on their tax returns by checking a box on the form; and
- Allow taxpayers to make additional contributions to the fund.
In addition to Mr. Israel, the bill has nine original co-sponsors, Representatives:
- Timothy Murphy (R-PA),
- Lois Frankel (D-FL),
- Matt Cartwright (D-PA),
- Madeleine Bordallo (D-Guam),
- Alan Lowenthal (D-CA),
- Mike Honda (D-CA),
- Dave Loebsack (D-IA),
- Raul Grijalva (D-AZ), and
- Debbie Dingell (D-MI).
The bill has been referred to the House Committees on Ways and Means and on Veterans’ Affairs.