HUD Provides Technical Assistance
The U.S. Dept. of Housing and Urban Development’s (HUD’s) Vets@Home technical assistance (TA) initiative provides help in ending veteran homelessness.
Any Continuum of Care (CoC) may receive TA through the Vets@Home initiative by submitting a request through the HUD Exchange’s Request Technical Assistance form. HUD will provide remote TA to all CoCs requesting help though Vets@Home.
More intensive and tailored TA will be based on 2015 Point-in-Time (PIT) count data and information provided by the US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
Examples of activities for which technical assistance could be provided are:
- Using data and analytics to identify veteran populations and local needs, measurable system goals, and develop or improve a prioritization and placement strategy to meet needs and goals
- Expediting and scaling up housing search, targeting, and placement capacity
- Reducing timelines for placing veterans in Veterans Administration and HUD permanent housing projects, including supportive housing opportunities. This includes expanding access to affordable permanent housing via more effective use of resources such as Rapid Re-Housing assistance, HOME Tenant-Based Rental Assistance, and Public Housing Agency preferences
- Identifying resources for veterans who are unable to receive VA health or housing services
- Creating a by-name list of all homeless veterans within the CoC