New HUD Funding for HUD-VASH PHAs Partners

$10 Million for Housing Search
Landlord Recruitment

HUD-VASHThere is a new funding stream available to Public Housing Authorities (PHAs) that serve homeless veterans.

The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) has released an additional $10 million to help fund administrative tasks like housing search assistance and landlord recruitment.

According to Amy Ginger, director of Housing Voucher Programs at HUD, the money will be given out on a first-come, first-served basis. Applications are due by Friday, November 13, 2015.

In response to the challenges in assisting veterans with VASH or SSVF resources in locating and moving into a unit, a NEW HUD funding initiative, known as Extraordinary Administrative Fees (EAF), is now available for communities that need additional funds for any necessary, additional or extraordinary expenses to aid current efforts. The utilization of these funds must result in an increase in lease-up rates and/or a decrease in the time it takes for a veteran to locate and move in to a unit.

HUD has set aside $10 million for this purpose. Your PHA may apply for an amount of funding that you determine is adequate to support your community to achieve the goals of this set-aside funding.   Applicants are encouraged to be as creative and as innovative as possible.

Examples of eligible expenses include but are not limited to:

  • Hosting a Veterans Housing or “VASH Day” to expedite the many steps in the lease up process including a one-stop for intake, issuing provisional vouchers, connecting with landlords for available units; assignment of VASH case managers; among other steps;
  • Providing housing search assistance now also known as housing navigation, which may include contracting with community-based organizations to assist with housing search, navigation and other related activities;
  • Hosting Landlord Recruitment events and other activities to engage landlords to participate in the HUD-VASH program;
  • Holding extra and coordinated briefings for HUD-VASH clients;
  • Hiring temporary staff including consultants to process Request for Tenancy Approvals (RFTA) forms;
  • Hiring temporary staff including consultants to serve as a Portability Coordinator for HUD-VASH clients;
  • Funding for pre-inspections for units that HUD-VASH clients are likely to rent; or
  • Any other services to ensure that HUD-VASH clients can move into their new homes with a voucher in the shortest time-period possible.

Click here to read HUD’s recent letter to PHAs.