Sixty-two Affordable Senior Housing
in the Heart of Bergen County
A Ribbon Cutting Ceremony was held on Wednesday, April 20 to celebrate the long awaited opening of The Brookdale senior apartment building at 60 Bergen Avenue, Teaneck NJ.
This building will provide desperately needed affordable housing for seniors age 62 and over. In addition to 62 apartments, the building includes a full commercial kitchen, community and dining rooms, and office space for visiting health care professionals.
Tenants will also enjoy a library, community garden and computer room on site. The building is owned by Teaneck Senior Housing Urban Renewal, a partnership between Geriatric Services, Inc., a non-profit organization that provides affordable housing and assisted living programs at Bright Side Manor and other Bergen County locations and The Alpert Group, LLC, a family owned and operated full-service real estate management and development company with over 40 years of experience.
Brookdale Senior Housing is funded by:
- The U. S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) 202 program,
- Low Income Housing Tax Credits,
- New Jersey Housing and Mortgage Finance Agency construction loan,
- Enterprise Community Investment,
- Teaneck Senior Citizen Housing Corporation
- Bergen County HOME Funds
- Bergen County CDBG Funds, and
- Federal Home Loan Bank’s Affordable Housing Program grant provided through Bogota Savings Bank
These are photos from the ribbon cutting.
With a significant and growing shortage of affordable housing for older adults in Bergen County, this project is an important community resource. Planning for the project began in 2009 with the support of a grant from The Brookdale Foundation Group, family endowed foundations that share a common outlook and purpose: to enhance the quality of life of America’s elderly. In recognition of The Brookdale Foundation Group’s support of this building, from the initial planning phase and throughout construction, the building is being named, “The Brookdale”.
Additional funding for this project was provided by US Housing and Urban Development, NJ Housing and Mortgage Finance Agency, Enterprise Community Investment, Bergen County Division of Community Development, Teaneck Senior Citizen Housing Association, Federal Home Loan Bank of New York and Bogota Savings Bank.
Monarch Housing Associates, Inc. served as consultant on the project and played a major role in identifying and preparing applications for the various sources of funding. Costs for the commercial kitchen were supported by a grant from TD Bank Foundation Housing for Everyone program. The building was constructed by Del Sano Contracting Corporation.
The development team includes:
- Geriatric Services, Inc. – Developer and service provider
- The Alpert Group – Developer
- Monarch Housing Associates – Consultant
- Jon Fellgraff – Architect
- Burgis Associates, Inc. – Engineering
- Del-Sano Contracting – General Contractor
- Andora and Romano – Attorney
- Brach Eichler, LLC – Attorney
- Law Offices of Elliot W. Urdang – Attorney
Geriatric Services, Inc. extends the independence of senior citizens through the provision of comfortable, affordable housing in conjunction with social and recreational activities. The organization offers congregate services, including meals, personal assistance, medication assistance, and housekeeping support to the frail elderly.