Enroll for Housing Choice Vouchers
June 13th 9 a.m. to June 17th 5 p.m.
As we previously reported, the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs (DCA), Division of Housing and Community Resources (DHCR) will be accepting pre-applications on-line for 10,100 Housing Choice Vouchers (HCV) in all twenty-one (21) New Jersey Counties beginning at 9 a.m. June 13th and ending at 5 p.m. on June 17th.
- Because pre-applications for the Housing Choice Vouchers will be selected through a lottery process, it does not matter when you submit your pre-application as long as you do it during the open enrollment period.
- Every pre-application submitted during the open enrollment period has a chance of being selected during the lottery.
- Pre-applications can only be made online. Submission of a pre-application does not guarantee placement on any waiting list. Only one pre-application per household per county will be accepted. Duplicate pre-applications per county will be rejected. Paper applications will not be distributed or accepted.
- Names, social security numbers, birth dates and income information for individuals living in the household. An email address is required. If you do not have one, the application process will allow you to create one. If you need assistance in another language, Google Translate will assist you during the pre-application process.
- The Department of Community Affairs (DCA) will extend reasonable accommodations to disabled individuals on a case-by-case basis and will take into consideration the disability and the need(s) of the individuals.
- If you require a reasonable accommodation, please contact DCA at 609-292-4080 and select Option 1 or 8 from the Menu.
- The waiting list placement will be based on a computerized selection (lottery) process. Once the wait list open enrollment period ends, pre-applications will be selected to be placed on the wait list after sorting preferences which includes persons who are disabled or victims of domestic violence.
- Submission of a pre-application does not guarantee placement on the wait list, eligibility, or an offer of a Housing Choice Voucher.
- A Screening of tenant’s background history including criminal background checks will be conducted during the eligibility interview process for all adult household members requesting housing assistance.
- Your total household income cannot exceed the limits shown on the income charts for the County in which you are applying. Be sure to use the figure for the size of your household. The chart only goes up to 8 household members. If you have a larger household, please contact DCA at 609-292-2528 for assistance in determining the maximum income limits for your household. Click here for Housing Choice Voucher Income Limits.
- Please visit the online waitlist on or after June 24, 2016 to obtain verification if you were selected for the waiting list. Those who were selected will show a status of “Active.” Those who were not selected will show a status of “Inactive.”
- If you have questions during the pre-application you can contact the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs, Applicant Services Unit (ASU) at 609-292-4080, and select either Option 1 or Option 8 on the Menu, Monday through Friday from 8:30am to 5:00 pm.
Subscribe to our newsletter and receive News You Can Use every morning.