Homeless Sabbath: No one should be Homeless for the Holidays
Monarch Housing Associates is proud to be part of a group of caring and concerned people from non-profit agencies and interfaith congregations – Community Access Unlimited, Elizabeth Coalition to House the Homeless, Family Promise of Union County, HomeFirst and the Union County Interfaith Coordinating Council – who are asking the faith community to join in a first annual Homeless Sabbath Weekend. The Sabbath Weekend will be a multi-faith “call to action” take place on December 16-18, 2016 on behalf of all people who are homeless in Union County.
We ask you to help us by including prayers and readings in your service(s) held on December 16th, 17th and 18th, 2016, at your respective house of worship. On this weekend, we will collectively pray for all homeless people and for the commitment to end homelessness in our community.
The momentum for the Homeless Sabbath is growing.
On November 12, 2016, Townley Presbyterian Church in Union held a Jazz Vespers worship service. There was a full house in attendance and Elder Cynthia Manno, a member of the Homeless Sabbath planning committee, planned this wonderful event. The event set a wonderful tone for the Homeless Sabbath weekend.
To date, dozens of congregations have signed up to participate in the Homeless Sabbath.
On the night of January 26, 2016, 513 people, including 62 people without shelter, experienced homelessness in Union County, according to NJCounts, the Point-In- Time Count.
This is longest night of the year and has been chosen as a time to remember all homeless people who died in the past year because of their lack of shelter or care.
A variety of resources are available to assist with planning a Homeless Sabbath in your congregation.
- Talking points about homelessness
- Universal prayers and diverse faith-based materials regarding homelessness
- Information on the “Homeless Persons’ Memorial Day Vigil” December 21, 2016 7 PM, Holy Cross Lutheran Church 639 Mountain Ave. Springfield, NJ.
- Sample Bulletin Insert, and
- Homeless resources in Union County
For further information:
- Contact us via email
- Or call Claire at 908-272-5363 x 234 to let us know if you will be participating.
- Follow or join the conversation on social media use this hashtag: #HomelessSabbathNJ
- Follow or join the conversation on social media use this hashtag: #HomelessSabbathN
As many of you prepare for the upcoming holiday celebrations in your home and congregation, please remember the many individuals, families and children who do not have a home for the holidays or throughout the year. Please give them a voice, hear them, help them.
Join the conversation on twitter.