RSI Bank Donation Will Help End Homelessness in New Jersey
RSI Bank recently donated to Monarch Housing Associates to further its efforts to provide quality housing to those who need it and end homelessness.
Monarch Housing, headquartered in Cranford, NJ, is a non-profit organization dedicated to creating affordable housing and ending homelessness in our state.
Monarch Housing will use the grant to support its mission to expand the supply, accessibility and variety of affordable, permanent, supportive housing through development, planning, policy and partnership
“We are very grateful for RSI’s funding and continued partnership,” said Monarch Housing Associates CEO Richard W. Brown. As New Jersey continues to face a housing crisis, RSI’s donation funds our critical work to build homes and transform lives.”
The number of homeless households in New Jersey grew considerably after the housing crisis of 2007 and 2008. NJCounts 2016, the statewide point-in-time count of the homeless, found 8,941 homeless men, women and children across the state of New Jersey.
This showed a decrease of 1,270 persons (12.4%) from 2015. Monarch Housing also coordinates NJCounts 2017. Many factors contribute to homelessness in New Jersey including a lack of affordable housing. A high percentage of jobs that do not pay a living wage and many jobs that did pay a living wage are leaving the state.
Monarch achieves its mission by working in three core areas: Ending Homelessness, Housing Production and Public Policy.
- The Ending Homelessness Team works to end homelessness in New Jersey through sound planning and the creation of housing opportunities for all. It coordinates the NJCounts 2017, the annual state-wide point-in-time count of the homeless.
- The Housing Production Team develops affordable, rental housing for people with special needs and seniors and low-income households. Their projects include new construction, rehabilitation, reconfiguration of existing housing, and the adaptive re-use of commercial buildings.
- The Public Policy Team focuses on advocacy at the both the state and federal levels, partnering with the National Alliance to End Homelessness, The National Low Income Housing Coalition, Center on Budget and Policy Priorities and Housing and Community Development Network of New Jersey.
RSI Bank is happy to support the work that Monarch does to end homelessness in the Garden State.
RSI Bank is an important resource to the local community, and has been since its incorporation in 1851. As New Jersey’s oldest mutual savings bank, RSI Bank has endured and even thrived during some of our country’s most challenging periods.
Through it all, RSI Bank has maintained a well-earned reputation as a safe and trusted institution with “community” and “caring” at its core. RSI Bank customers have access to:
- The company’s highly-rated Mobile Banking app,
- An easy-to-use Online Banking interface,
- A network of over 55,000 surcharge-free ATMs worldwide, and
- Local branches in Rahway, Colonia, and Woodbridge (anticipated opening in early 2017).