Registration for the July 26, 2017 Congressional Reception is Now Open!
The 2017 New Jersey Congressional Reception will be held on Wednesday July 26, 2017 in the Dirksen Senate Auditorium in Washington, D.C.
“No Housing Cuts” will be the theme that will be shared with our elected officials with the message that cuts are hurting our communities that serve low-income families, the homeless and those with special needs.
Registration for the event is now open. You can register today and reserve your spot on a bus that will be leaving from various locations on the morning of July 26th for Washington, D.C.
Last year, over 350 housing advocates and individuals impacted by homelessness traveled to Washington, D.C. for the day and shared their stories with our elected officials.
The impact of sequestration and budget cuts has reduced the budget of the Housing and Urban Development (HUD) as well as other domestic programs.
The lack of affordable homes and the resources needed to maintain existing public housing has created an affordable housing state of emergency in NJ.
The goal of the event will be to bring a least 350 people – twenty-five from each Congressional district – to DC for the day.
Both senators and all the members of the House representing NJ will be invited to attend and give brief remarks and it is hoped that they and their housing staff will attend the event.
Thanks to thirty-five (34) partners, eleven (11) individuals who have donated to fund bus sponsorships and two (2) donors, we have raised 112% of our $20,000 goal!
Sponsorship opportunities are still available.
Monarch has taken the lead in planning the event and is actively seeking additional partners.
The Reception’s program will include:
- An overview of the state picture and welcome the two senators.
- An advocate from each Congressional district who will welcome the member of Congress and introduce two speakers – one who will speak about the impact of homelessness and a second who will talk about public policy issues in the district.
- The speakers will discuss the benefits of HUD funded housing and the impact HUD funding cuts are having in their communities. All members from the district will be included in a group photo.
- Staff from key national partner organizations such as the National Low Income Housing Coalition, the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, Enterprise Communities and the National Alliance to End Homelessness will be asked to give brief national perspectives on the HUD budget cuts.
- Promotion through main stream and social media. The hashtags are #NJHillDay and
- Infographics showing the impact of the budget cuts to key HUD programs will be provided.
- transportation to and from DC,
- a boxed lunch before the event begins and
- a button.
Prior to starting the registration, we recommend verifying your Congressional District.
Once you register this is a good time to share your registration on Facebook and Twitter as well as let your member of Congress know you will be in DC in July.
I am going to #NJHillDay on 7/26 to ensure #congress makes #nohousingcuts Please join us and be Part of the Solution http://wp.me/PeqFK-9m4