Send Tweets Telling Secretary Carson and Congress that Affordable Housing Funding Must be Protected in President Trump’s Budget
Today, June 7, 2017 beginning at 2:30 p.m., join the National Low Income Housing Coalition and Monarch Housing Associates in telling Secretary Carson and Congress that President Trump’s budget is unacceptable
At 2:30 p.m. on June 7th, HUD Secretary Dr. Ben Carson will testify before the Senate Appropriations Transportation and HUD (THUD) Subcommittee on the administration’s FY18 budget.
The president’s budget proposes to slash federal investments in affordable housing at HUD by 15%, or $7.4 billion, compared to FY17.
- If enacted, more than 250,000 people could lose their housing vouchers.
- The budget would also impose punitive measures that would jeopardize family stability — increasing the financial burdens they face through higher rents and ending support to help cover the cost of basic utilities, like water and heat.
- The proposed budget slashes funding for public housing and many other vital programs
- Eliminates funding for the national Housing Trust Fund,
- Eliminates the HOME Investment Partnerships program, and
- Eliminates the Community Development Block Grants program.
You can use the following sample Tweets:
- #TrumpBudget puts struggling families under more financial strain by ^ rents to 35% of their gross income (avg is $12K/yr)
- #TrumpBudget takes hsg assistance away from 250K families, putting them at immediate risk of eviction & homelessness. #CutsHurt
- #TrumpBudget cuts resources to keep public housing developments up and running by 2/3rds. #CutsHurt
- Tell Congress to lift the unfair budget caps for a stronger and more prosperous America. #CutsHurt
- #CutsHurt the most vulnerable in our communities: low income seniors, veterans, ppl with disabilities, those who are homeless.
- Families thrive bc of housing & community development investments at HUD and USDA. Now is not the time to cut funding #CutsHurt
- Congress must lift spending caps & increase $$ to protect #affordablehousing for low income families and communities. #CutsHurt
- We should not balance the budget on the backs of low income families struggling to get by. #CutsHurt
- America is stronger and prosperous when we have decent, affordable homes & stable communities. #CutsHurt
- Families thrive bc of housing & community development investments at HUD and USDA. #CutsHurt
- With an affordable home, families can climb the economic ladder and kids do better in school. #CutsHurt
- Affordable housing is linked to better health. Cuts will only make our communities less healthy. #CutsHurt
Be sure to use Secretary Ben Carson’s twitter handle – @SecretaryCarson
Please read our previous post on Trump’s Budget Slams NJ More Than Most States on Medicaid.