Key Recommendations Communities of Opportunity Would Address Housing Costs in NJ that are Among Nation’s Highest
The report introduces critical and common sense policy ideas to help more people afford homes.
Together, strategic public investment, prioritizing opportunity, leveraging existing assets can increase the number of safe, affordable, convenient homes
“Housing costs in New Jersey are among the nation’s highest. High rates of evictions and foreclosures threaten household and neighborhood stability. Too many New Jerseyans struggle to find an affordable, convenient, and safe place to call home.”
With New Jersey’s gubernatorial election on November 7 approaching, the report writes, “The state needs leadership, financial resources, and sensible policies addressing four important issues:
- Investing in affordable homes and communities, including transit-oriented development as well as supportive housing and homelessness prevention
- Advancing Mount Laurel goals and fair housing initiatives to promote integration and opportunity
- Reducing evictions and foreclosures
- Embracing regional and state planning with an emphasis on climate resiliency and urban and downtown revitalization.”
Monarch Housing works with the mission to expand the supply, accessibility and variety of affordable, permanent supportive housing through development, planning, advocacy and partnerships. The state’s investment in affordable homes and communities, creating supportive housing and preventing homelessness is critical to our mission.
At the October 12, 2017 Public Policy Forum on Eviction, U.S. Senator Cory Booker, Dr. Matthew Desmond, Professor Paula Franzese and other stakeholders and advocates discussed solutions to homelessness.
One of the solutions discussed was legal representation of low-income tenants facing eviction. Crossroads NJ’s recommendation mirrors that by calling on the state to: “move quickly to adequately fund New Jersey’s statewide Legal Services system to enable it to provide legal representation to low-income tenants facing eviction.”
Communities of Opportunity: New Jerseyans Need More Affordable, Convenient, and Safe Places to Call Home is part of the Crossroads NJ series produced by The Fund for New jersey to inform debate in this pivotal election year.
New Jersey can work to bring the solutions to the problems of homelessness and eviction to scale. Key recommendations from the Communities of Opportunity report that would help bring solutions to scale include:
- Adopt the Housing and Community Development Network of New Jersey‘s “Build a Thriving New Jersey” plan to strategically invest resources to create hundreds of thousands of new and rehabilitated affordable homes close to good schools and job opportunities.
- Restore the Special Needs Housing Trust Fund and allocate state funds for homeless programs.
- Fully fund legal services for low-income tenants facing evictions.
The Communities of Opportunity report makes many other important key recommendations that are available in the full report.