$2.6B for Homeless Assistance Grants in FY 2018 Would Serve 40,000 People Next year
The National Alliance to End Homelessness (the Alliance) continues with its push to increase McKinney Vento Homeless Assistance Grants funding.
The Alliance is asking Congress to fund McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance at $2.6 Billion in Fiscal Year 2018. Funding at that level would assist 40,000 people next year.
Friday, January 19, 2018 is the new deadline for the Continuing Resolution and Congress is currently making budget decisions. It is critical that advocates across the country keep up our drumbeat and remind our elected officials that ending homelessness is a budget priority.
The Alliance has created resources that build on its continual push for HUD McKinney-Vento funding in the FY2018 Federal budget.
- To help with your advocacy efforts, the Alliance has created sample social media messages that you can use to communicate with your elected officials.
- As Chairman of the Appropriations Committee, Congressman Rodney Frelinghusyen (NJ-R-11) plays a lead role in the appropriations process.
- The Alliance has set up a link that you can use to email your members of Congress to increase the federal funding level for McKinney Vento funding.
- Please note, if you use this link, you must fill out the first page and then press submit, which will then take you to the next page that has the noted talking points.
- Please spread this throughout your community, and of course, if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out.
Sample tweets that you can use in your advocacy efforts this week include:
- Congress is making key budget decisions this week. Tell them to prioritize ending homelessness by increasing funding for the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Grants http://bit.ly/2maoW9f
- Congress will decide this week about funding levels for the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Grants. Make sure ending homelessness is a budget priority by sending your representative an email. [link]
- In order to #endhomelessness, we must invest in the solutions that work. Tell Congress to increase funding for the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Grants http://bit.ly/2maoW9f
- Tell your representatives that you want to #endhomelessness. Take a few moments to send an email and ask Congress to increase funding for the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Grants http://bit.ly/2maoW9f
- With the right tools, we can #endhomelessness. Email Congress and tell them to fund the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Grants http://bit.ly/2maoW9f
A sample email that you can send to your community contacts is:
Dear Friends and Colleagues:
Congress is still making important decisions about the federal budget right now. Help us send a powerful message to secure $2.6 billion for homelessness funding in Fiscal Year (FY) 2018.
Take 10 minutes to send Congress an email today. Decisions are being made, and we need more money to serve 40,000 more people nationwide next year. Your voice can help secure that funding. Click here to email your Members of Congress.