Addressing America’s Affordable Housing Crisis for Our Most Vulnerable Communities
The lack of affordable housing has a direct impact on the nation’s health, influencing homelessness, economic mobility, education, health outcomes, and countless other factors.
On March 20, 2018, a diverse multi-sector coalition launched “Opportunity Starts at Home.” This new campaign will address the nation’s affordable housing crisis for America’s most vulnerable communities.
The Opportunity Starts at Home campaign seeks to mobilize powerful new constituencies, including organizations beyond the housing sector. Together, they will promote federal priorities to ensure that people with the lowest incomes have access to safe, decent, affordable housing in neighborhoods where everyone has equitable opportunities to thrive.
Housing affordability is central to other national priorities, like health care, food security, education and more. Yet the gap between rents and incomes is growing, and this is compounded by unprecedented threats to federal housing assistance. Proven solutions to ending homelessness and housing instability exist – what’s missing is the political will to provide resources that will put these solutions into practice in communities across the nation.
The National Low Income Housing Coalition launched the Opportunity Starts at Home campaign together with:
- the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities,
- Children’s HealthWatch,
- Make Room, and
- the National Alliance to End Homelessness.
Members of the steering committee include:
- Catholic Charities USA,
- the Children’s Defense Fund,
- Community Catalyst,
- the Food Research and Action Center,
- National Alliance on Mental Illness,
- the National Association of Community Health Centers,
- the National Education Association, and
The time to act is now.
- Various sectors are recognizing that affordable homes are inextricably linked to their own priorities and concerns.
- The work to expand affordable housing solutions cannot be done by housing advocates alone.
- So expanded cross-sector coalitions are working together to increase federal investments in proven solutions to make homes affordable to the lowest income people.
- In the face of an unprecedented housing affordability crisis, along with the undeniable, cross-cutting realities of the research and the imminent threats to federal housing assistance, powerful new constituencies are possible in ways that they haven’t been before.
The goals of the Opportunity Starts at Home Campaign are to advance federal housing solution that:
- Bridge the growing gap between renter incomes and rising housing costs
- Provide aid to people experiencing job losses or other economic shocks to avert housing instability or homelessness
- Expand the affordable housing stock for the lowest income renters
- Defend existing rental assistance and other targeted housing resources from harmful cuts