Opportunity Starts at Home A National Multi-Sector Housing Campaign
Opportunity Starts at Home, a new national multi-sector housing campaign bringing together new voices to meet the housing needs of the lowest income people in America, will launch its monthly e-newsletter on May 1.
Through this newsletter, the campaign will share its recent progress, latest research and best practices, upcoming and current events, featured materials and videos, calls to action, and much more. Sign up today for the monthly e-newsletter here!
Check out the latest articles written by our multi-sector partners about how housing is inextricably linked to their own goals and missions:
- A joint op-ed by Derrick Johnson, president and CEO of the NAACP, and Diane Yentel, president and CEO of NLIHC: The Fierce Urgency of Fair and Affordable Homes
- An article by Marian Wright Edelman, president of the Children’s Defense Fund: Child Opportunity and Stability Starts at Home
- An article by Dr. Megan Sandel, principal investigator of Children’s HealthWatch: A Stable, Affordable Home is a Prescription for Good Health
- A blog post written by UnidosUS: Opportunities for Latino Families Start at Home
- An article by Jim Weill, president of the Food Research and Action Center: FRAC Chat: Opportunity Starts at Home
The Opportunity Starts at Home campaign seeks to mobilize powerful new constituencies, including organizations beyond the housing sector. Together, they will promote federal priorities to ensure that people with the lowest incomes have access to safe, decent, affordable housing in neighborhoods where everyone has equitable opportunities to thrive.
Housing affordability is central to other national priorities, like health care, food security, education and more. Yet the gap between rents and incomes is growing, and this is compounded by unprecedented threats to federal housing assistance. Proven solutions to ending homelessness and housing instability exist – what’s missing is the political will to provide resources that will put these solutions into practice in communities across the nation.
The time to act is now.
- Various sectors are recognizing that affordable homes are inextricably linked to their own priorities and concerns.
- The work to expand affordable housing solutions cannot be done by housing advocates alone.
- So expanded cross-sector coalitions are working together to increase federal investments in proven solutions to make homes affordable to the lowest income people.
- In the face of an unprecedented housing affordability crisis, along with the undeniable, cross-cutting realities of the research and the imminent threats to federal housing assistance, powerful new constituencies are possible in ways that they haven’t been before.
The goals of the Opportunity Starts at Home Campaign are to advance federal housing solution that:
- Bridge the growing gap between renter incomes and rising housing costs
- Provide aid to people experiencing job losses or other economic shocks to avert housing instability or homelessness
- Expand the affordable housing stock for the lowest income renters
- Defend existing rental assistance and other targeted housing resources from harmful cuts