Remembering the Homeless in Atlantic, Bergen, Hudson, Mercer and Union Counties
Towards the end of this year, timed around December 21, 2018 which marks the longest night of the year and the beginning of winter, communities across New Jersey will hold homeless memorials and vigils. National Homeless Persons’ Memorial Day is observed on the first day of winter and created to remember those who have passed away in the past year while experiencing homelessness.
Monarch Housing Associates is just one of the non-profit organizations working in partnership with many faith-based communities to host the Homeless Memorial vigil in Union County. The Homeless Memorial will take place on Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 7:00 p.m. at St. Mark’s Episcopal Church in Plainfield. Click here for more details.
Other memorials and vigils taking place across the state include events in the following New Jersey counties:
It is difficult to think about any of our neighbors living outside in the elements at any time of the year. But the winter, cold temperature and holiday season cause us to pause especially at this time of year when so many in New Jersey do not have a safe,warm, and secure place to call home.
On the heels of National Homeless Persons Memorial Day, on January23, 2019, volunteers across the state will fan out to count our homeless neighbors to update NJCounts. Click here to learn more about NJCounts 2019.
Our Latest Posts
- NLIHC Finds 72% of NJ Renters are Extremely Low-Income Renters in NJ are Cost Burdened
- Tomorrow, Join Monarch Housing in Honoring Richard Brown, a Champion for Ending Homelessness
- Food Assistance for NJ’s Struggling Workers and Families at Risk
- This Thursday, Join Monarch Housing to Honor Richard Brown’s Legacy to Monarch Housing and Kick Off the Advocacy Fund
- Next Thursday, Join Monarch Housing on March 21 as We Celebrate Richard Brown and His Leadership