Twenty-Six Partners Join Monarch Housing in Planning July 24 Congressional Reception in DC
On July 24, 2019, Monarch Housing and our twenty-six partners, to date, will hold a Congressional Reception in Washington, D.C. The Congressional Reception will take place in the Dirksen Senate Auditorium from 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
The theme of this year’s Congressional Reception will be: Opportunity Starts at Home: Building a Necessary and Secure Foundation for Healthy Communities.
We are planning for a group of 300 attendees to join us in buses traveling down to D.C. on the morning of July 24. Please save the date and join us in Washington, D.C. Stay tuned for more details about how to register to attend the event.
To date, the twenty-six partner organizations in New Jersey listed below have committed to sponsoring and planning the Congressional Reception. If your organization would like to join us and support the Congressional Reception at either the $400 or $800 level, please contact Kate Kelly.
- Advance Housing, Inc.
- Anti-Poverty Network of New Jersey (APN)
- Bridgeway Rehabilitation Services
- Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Newark
- Catholic Charities Diocese of Camden
- Catholic Charities Diocese of Paterson
- Catholic Charities Diocese of Metuchen
- Catholic Charities, Diocese of Trenton
- Center for Family Services, Inc.
- Collaborative Support Program of NJ
- Domus Corporation
- Family Promise Union County Program
- Garden State Episcopal Community Development Corporation
- Homeless Solutions
- Housing Community Development Network of NJ (the Network)
- Jewish Family Services Atlantic & Cape May Counties
- Mental Health Association New Jersey (MHANJ)
- Mercer Alliance to End Homelessness
- M25 Initiative
- MHA of Essex and Morris
- New Jersey Community Development Corporation
- Project Live, Inc.
- Supportive Housing Association of NJ (SHA)
- Trenton Area Soup Kitchen (TASK)
- Triple C Housing
Speakers from each of New Jersey’s Congressional Districts will address their elected officials. Both of New Jersey’s U.S. Senators and all twelve U.S. House members are invited to attend the Reception.
Speakers will elaborate on the theme of Opportunity Starts at Home: Building a Necessary and Secure Foundation for Healthy Communities by speaking from lived experience and reminding us that:
- Housing is a right,
- Housing is healthcare and
- Housing creates healthy communities.
This year’s theme will allow us to connect our day in Washington, D.C. to policy priorities around meeting the needs of the low-income people.
The policy priorities include, but are not limited to, expanding the national Housing Trust Fund (HTF), advocating for the Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) program. Nationally, Opportunity Starts at Home is a long-term, multi-sector campaign staffed by the National Low Income Housing Coalition (NLIHC) to meet the rental housing needs of the nations’ low-income people.
Click here for photos and videos from the 2018 Congressional Reception.