NJCounts 2017 Executive Summary

2017 NJCounts Point-In-Time Fact Sheet

NJCounts 2017 Finds Overall Homelessness DecreasedNJCounts 2017 found 8,532 homeless men, women and children, across the state of New Jersey.  This number decreased by 409 persons (4.6%) from 2015.   NJCounts 2017 counted individuals who were homeless on the night of January 24, 2017.

NJ Counts 2017 Overall Results

  • 8532 homeless men, women and children were counted across the state of New Jersey on the night of the Point-in-Time Count.
  • This was an overall decrease of 409 persons, or 4.6%, compared to the 2016 count.
  • 1092 persons, in 992 households, were identified as chronically homeless, an increase of 256 persons, or 30.6%, compared to the 2016 count.
  • 1415 persons were un-sheltered; a decrease of 1.9% from the 1388 persons counted in 2016.

NJCounts 5-Year Summary Chart
NJ Counts 2017 Key Findings

  • The number of homeless persons in emergency shelter, transitional housing and those un-sheltered decreased 4.8%, 6.1% and 1.9% respectively. The overall homeless population in New Jersey has decreased at an average rate of 8% per year over the last 5 years.
  • 1,017 (16%) of the 6,340 homeless households cochildrenunted through NJ Counts 2017 were families with children under the age of 18. There was a 10.9% decrease in homeless families as compared to 2016.
  • 49 unaccompanied youth households under 18 were identified in the count. This represents a 44.1% increase in the homeless unaccompanied youth population.
  • 1939 children under the age of 18 were homeless. Of these children, 977 (50.4%) were five years of age or younger, and 962 (49.6%) were between the ages of six and seventeen. Children under the age of 18 represented 22.7% of the homeless population.
  • 583 veteran persons were identified in 2017, representing a 4.3% increase from 2016. 16 veterans were un-sheltered on the night of the count.
  • 46.2% of homeless persons reported some type of disability. Among homeless adults over the age of 18, 57.3% reported a disability.  The most prevalent disability reported was mental health issue.
  • 20% of households reported that they had been homeless for more than one year.

NJCounts Household Chart

  • 38.7% of homeless households indicated they had no source of income while 18.9% of homeless households indicated they were not connected to any kind of non-cash mainstream benefit.
  • 9% of homeless households indicated they were staying with friends and family immediately prior to becoming homeless.
  • Top factors contributing to homelessness were: being asked to leave a shared residence (20.6%), eviction (13.8%) and loss or reduction of job income or benefits (12.8%)
  • Essex County had the highest percentage of the statewide homeless population (24%), followed by Hudson County (9.6%) and Burlington County (7.1%).

NJCounts Statewide Percentages

These are the reports for each County as well as the combined CoC’s. To compare and view the 2016 NJCounts reports click here.