On the night of January 28, 2020 a total of 9,663 men women and children in 7,365 households were identified as having experienced homelessness in the state of New Jersey. This was an overall increase of 799 persons (9%) from the number identified in 2019.
- 6,030 people were staying in Emergency Shelters, a 9% increase compared to 2019
- 1,837 people were staying in Transitional Housing, no change compared to 2019
- 10 people were staying in Safe Havens, a 47% decrease compared to 2019
- 1,786 people were Unsheltered, a 24% increase compared to 2019
- 1,743 persons were identified as Chronically Homeless, a 19.2% increase compared to 2019
- 595 persons were identified as Veterans, an 8% increase compared to 2019
- 943 persons were identified as Youth Households (persons under the age of 25 not accompanied by an adult over the age of 24), a 3% increase compared to 2019
- 845 persons identified as victims of Domestic Violence, a 5% increase as compared to 2019
Persons identifying as Black or African American and those identifying as American Indian or Alaskan Native are over-represented in the population experiencing homelessness. For persons identifying as Black or African American, while 13% of the state population, they represent 50% of the population experiencing homelessness. Similarly, persons identifying as American Indian or Alaskan Native represent 0.1% of the population and make up 0.7% of the state population experiencing homelessness.
For more information about the results of NJCounts 2020 please see below:
January 28, 2020
NJCounts, the annual statewide Point-in-Time count of individuals and families experiencing homelessness or at risk of homelessness in the New Jersey, will take place on Wednesday, January 29, 2020. Monarch Housing Associates is coordinating NJCounts for the 7th year working with networks of organizations, agencies and others that plan community efforts to end homelessness across New Jersey’s twenty-one counties.
Volunteers will ask those experiencing homelessness in shelters and in un-sheltered locations where they spent the night of January 28, 2020.